Thursday, January 13, 2011

no time for silence

i just found out today that Jeff Jacobs, trumpeter and keyboardist for San Francisco jazz/rock/surf/dub/ambient band The Drift, passed away earlier this week. very sad news.

The Drift are sincerely one of my favorite bands. perhaps they took me by surprise or came along at just the right time for me, but i think i love them so much because i heard the music and developed an attachment to it before i even knew a single thing about the band. and i essentially grabbed their record at random from a pile of 100s of other CDs just to try something new at work one day. It's one of those pure kind of music experiences to be introduced to a band that way and turn out to really love them. No outside influence, just music good enough to speak for itself. i love it when that happens.

I was lucky/silly enough to get a chance to see the Drift live once in Louisville, KY (with Jeff Jacobs) before it was too late. It is one of my favorite concert memory experiences.



if you've got a few bucks lying around, this record comes HIGHLY recommended from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment