Thursday, December 9, 2010

Vexations



I'm not really familiar with this game show, but it seems kind of lame to me. I would, however, love to see a list of "secrets" that the guests brought to the show. I'm guessing there were some real interesting characters in those seats.

I've been learning a bit about John Cale lately and getting excited about his music. Specifically, his pop music. More specifically, the albums Vintage Violence, Paris 1919, and Fear. I'm a pretty casual student in situations like this, and I definitely wouldn't consider myself a fanatic or anything, but this stuff feels really good to me at the moment.

I also really appreciate the way he combines the elements of his experiences in minimalist composition with simple, traditional pop rock elements. Probably my favorite thing about writing music (and I think this is because I'm an untrained ignoramus) is combining a few simple things to create something really complex and beautiful. There's no shortage of folks who are really, really good at that, it's just I think John Cale is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment